Regulatory Compliance Officer - City of Jacksonville Beach
REGULATORY COMPLIANCE OFFICER
Department: Beaches Energy
Pay Grade: 330
FLSA Status: Exempt
This position performs difficult professional work with compliance responsibilities relating to the reliability and stability of Beaches Energy Services electric system and ensures compliance with the electric reliability standards of North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) and Florida Reliability Coordinating Council (FRCC). Work is performed within an engineering sub-group that manages a centralized Reliability Standards compliance monitoring and reporting process to assure Beaches Energy Services’ auditable compliance with FERC, NERC, and SERC standards. Work is performed under the supervision of the Director of Beaches Energy.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Implements and manages the Internal Compliance Program (ICP) for NERC Compliance.
- Maintains utility compliance with NERC and other applicable standards, interprets new standards or changes in standards and ensures distribution to affected divisions for implementation.
- Coordinates compliance activities related to NERC Reliability Standards.
- Oversees and coordinates all on-site, off-site and self-certification audits through the collection and dissemination of documents and interaction with City and regulatory personnel.
- Oversees response and action items required to ensure that audit findings, NERC work management actions, suspense dates, required regulatory submittals are met.
- Coordinates regulatory audit preparation activities across Beaches Energy to ensure potential non-compliance issues are identified and corrected which includes support for preparation, critique and validation of reliability standard audit worksheets (RSAW’s) and periodic updating.
- Oversees the non-conformance process to document potential non-compliance to NERC standards, coordinates the evaluation of each occurrence, and documents the implementation of corrective action.
- Confers with management to identify and address potential areas of non-compliance and anticipate future compliance requirements.
- Performs compliance assessments, documents compliance status, and makes recommendations on corrective action required to achieve compliance with Reliability Standards Monitors industry best practices and identifies changes in regulatory compliance for cyber and physical security.
- Develops processes, procedural controls and implementation mechanisms for achieving and sustaining compliance with all applicable NERC and SERC standards and requirements.
- Consults with, trains and provides direction to operations personnel regarding NERC and SERC compliance standards in order to maintain an environment of continuous improvement to operations and reliability.
- Oversees the storage of required NERC compliance documentation and evidence within the corporate database to ensure the material is available for regulatory audit.
- Responds to requests of regional regulatory agencies and internal departments to ensure issues are addressed in a timely manner.
- Participates in coordination of mandatory filings for federal, state, and local regulatory agencies.
- Represents the organization at meetings at the state and regional level.
- Evaluates and prepares procedural documentation, ongoing monitoring, testing, and remediation related to NERC compliance.
- Provides technical leadership in the planning, development, organizational, coordination, implementation, and review of the CIP compliance program.
- Attends meetings and training related to NERC, SERC, FRCC and the Florida Municipal Power Agency (FMPA) and communicates information to Beaches Energy Services staff.
- Serves on the Operations Committee for the Centralized Transmission Operations agreement between Beaches Energy, Orlando Utilities Commission and Kissimmee Utility Authority.
- Coordinates with affected divisions on proper actions to maintain compliance and makes recommendations to the Director of Beaches Energy Services.
- Performs supervisory and other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Minimum of five (5) years of experience in Engineering, Information Technology, and/or specific NERC subject matter experience. Seven (7) years’ experience with NERC Reliability Standards is highly desired. A Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Information Technologies (IT) is desired. Other four-year academic degrees in combination with relevant experience will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the North American Electric Reliability Corporation standards.
- Knowledge and familiarity with the technical terminology used in the Reliability Standards.
- Knowledge of procedures, risk management, FERC standards of conduct, NERC reliability standards and internal controls
- Knowledge of Balancing Authority operating and planning procedures.
- Ability to interpret new and existing regulations in consultation with and other subject matter experts to determine applicability.
- Ability to remain current with all NERC, FERC, and SERC compliance regulations and procedures.
- Ability to make clear and concise oral and written reports.
- Ability to prepare and maintain clear and accurate records.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally.
- Ability to plan, organize, supervise, analyze, and manage work.
- Ability to operate standard office, personal computer and related equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other personnel and the public.
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to report to work on time and to perform the duties of the position for an entire workday.
- Ability to travel for work, up to 30-40 percent, and be on call for storm duty assignment if necessary.
The work is sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required:
- Stooping, reaching, standing and walking.
- Fingering: Picking, pinching or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling.
- Grasping: Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
- Handling: Picking, holding, or otherwise working, primarily with the whole hand.
- Vocal communication: expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.
- Hearing: perceiving information at normal spoken word levels.
- Visual acuity: preparing and analyzing written or computer data, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work and observing general surroundings and activities.
Work is performed in an office setting. The worker is not subject to adverse environmental conditions.
Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this job description.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the City of Jacksonville Beach and the employee and is subject to change by the City as the needs of the City and requirements of the job change.
To apply visit www.cojb.jobs