Protection & Controls Specialist – JEA
This position is responsible for supporting the installation, maintenance, and NERC compliance activities associated with protection and control field operations. This includes, but is not limited to: event analysis, technical support, direct field support, process and procedure development, audit support, internal and external communications, training, and project management. This position will take a lead role on industry committees related to System Protection & Controls and compliance activities.
Protection and Controls
- Develops technical processes and procedures related to protection and controls field operations.
- Investigates protection equipment operations to verify proper operation.
- Fulfills reporting requirements and countermeasures for misoperations.
- Provides event analysis including protection operations and human involvement events.
- Provide highly advanced expertise with technical issues regarding protection and control maintenance, installation and troubleshooting including the ability to lead technicians in performing maintenance, installation, and troubleshooting of protection and control equipment.
- Develop functional tests for protection and control schemes to verify proper operation.
- Retrieve and analyze protective relay settings and event reports to investigate protection system operations.
- Update firmware and settings on protection and control equipment.
- Develops processes and procedures related to compliance activities.
- Develops and implements processes for identifying new/revised standards and determine the effort required to maintain JEA�s compliance with the new regulations.
- Develops action plans for implementing recommendations from regulators and consultants during audits or gap analyses.
- Develops documentation for mitigation plans as a result of a self-report or alleged violation and ensures that all documentation is submitted on schedule.
- Develop mitigation plans and submits plans to the FRCC and/or NERC.
- Develop strategies to improve JEA�s processes to ensure compliance and documentation requirements are met.
- Collects, reviews, organizes, and presents evidence for reliability standards; identifies areas for improvement; tracks action plans to ensure completion.
- Completes and reviews documentation, including RSAWs, prior to self-certifications and audits.
- Determine the recurring requirements of the Reliability/CIP standards.
- Set up the work-flows and notifications process to allow for ongoing tracking of these requirements.
- Thorough knowledge of PRC and CIP compliance requirements and measures
Communications and Reporting
- Communicate technical and compliance issues and assist in the development of strategies to address these issues.
- Implement communications strategies to improve JEA employees� understanding of regulatory obligations and technical processes.
- Deliver other corporate awareness educational materials and programs to inform employees of JEA�s responsibilities under NERC and FERC.
- Prepare for and document compliance committee meetings.
- Provide training as required.
- Participates in NERC Reliability/CIP Standard development and other activities at NERC.
- Participates in other industry groups (FRCC, NATF, AEIC, FMEA, etc.).
- Work with voters to determine whether to vote for or against new/revised standards and interpretations and document the rationale for these decisions.
- Prepare comments on Reliability/CIP Standards and notify Standard Owners when new standards pass.
- Determine whether the standard revisions require additional monitoring to ensure compliance.
- Organize and facilitate audit documentation preparation and submittal efforts.
License/certifications/registrations: Valid Florida Driver's License
Education & Experience: Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited school plus 8 years successful experience in Protection & Controls.
This position requires that employees be in compliance with JEA procedure ES A0200 A0101 RS 628
Screening Personnel Risk Assessments (pre-hire for FACTA designations; pre-hire and recurring for