Electric Line Worker 2 – City of Newberry
This position entails the journey-level work in constructing, maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing overhead and underground electrical distribution systems. Work is performed under the supervision of the Electric Line Crew Supervisor. Work involves the construction, maintenance and repair activities on the City Electrical Distribution system.
- Standard work practices of setting poles, sagging wire, installing anchors, single and three-phase transformer banks, regulator and capacitor banks, street light installation and repair, URD primary and secondary installation and repair with capabilities in the installation of all protective devices (switches, cutouts, surge arrestors)
- Employee will be glove certified with a minimum of 5-year experience in the performance of maintenance and repair of overhead and underground energized distribution primary and secondary voltages and the safe work practices involved.
- Employee will assume rotational on-call duties and will be required to work during unfavorable weather conditions. Also participate in planned and emergency overtime as required.
- Performs daily safety inspections of assigned equipment prior to and after use; performs routine service and maintenance.
- Performs the construction, maintenance, and repairs of electrical overhead and underground distribution and transmission systems including stringing conductors, setting poles and anchors, hanging or setting transformers, lightning arrestors, cutouts, cross arms, insulators, and other associated plant.
- Directs the work of personnel of lesser classification.
- Responds to trouble calls and to service interruption reports on electrical distribution system.
- Removes immediate hazards to life and property.
- Performs switching operation of circuit reclosers, single and gang operated disconnect switches, and sectionalizers, pad-mounted switch gears, and subsurface switch gears.
- Installs and removes from service voltage regulating devices.
- Splices and terminates primary and secondary cables.
- Operates primary and secondary line locating equipment.
- Plans work activities to prevent injury and property damage.
- Inspects contracted electrical construction work.
- Completes required work order documentation.
- Operates heavy motorized equipment used in the construction and maintenance of electric overhead and underground systems.
- Works in accordance with and assists in enforcing safety rules and regulations. Performs work on unleveled surfaces, within manholes (vaults), from aerial devices and climbs poles.
- Responds under emergency conditions.
- Attends work on a continuous and regular basis
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required or as assigned.)
Qualifications and Education Requirements
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School graduation or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma.
- Department of Labor Certificate of Completion of Apprenticeship.
- Must have minimum of 5 years as a Journeyman Lineworker.
(A comparable amount of training, education or experience can be substituted for the minimum qualifications.)
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS:
- Possession of valid manual and automatic transmission Class B CDL or higher Florida Driver’s license with a driving record acceptable to the City’s Driving policy and insurance program.
- Has or have the ability to obtain “Competent Person in Charge of Excavation” OSHA approved Certification.
- Have or ability to obtain “Confined Space Entrant and attendant” OSHA approved Certification.
- Successful candidate will be required to complete a written and practical examination.
- Thorough knowledge of M.O.T. and safe work zone setup
- Knowledge of materials, methods, practices, and equipment used in the construction, maintenance, and repair of the electric distribution system
- Knowledge of basic electric principles, electric current, electric theory, and all safety regulations
- Knowledge of the city electric system.
- Knowledge of Federal, State and local laws and safety procedures pertaining to electrical systems.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with employees, City Officials, and the general public.
- Thorough knowledge of the operation, maintenance adaptabilities, limitations, and safety precautions of the particular equipment to which assignment is made.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instruction.
- Knowledge of City roads and locations of responsibilities.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instruction
- Ability to recognize safety hazards in the work involved and take precautionary methods to protect self and others.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor for extended periods, occasionally in adverse weather conditions.
- Knowledge of methods, materials, and tools used in line construction and maintenance work
- Knowledge of first aid, including artificial respiration
- Ability to climb poles and work ate moderate heights to handle high voltage wires
- Skill in the use and care of line tools and testing equipment
- Physical strength and agility to do strenuous manual work under varying weather conditions
Work requires moderate to extreme exposure to one or more disagreeable conditions (i.e., irate customers, inclement weather, excessive noise, extreme temperatures, odors or dust).
This position requires moderate exposure or risk to physical health and/or physical safety (e.g. exposure to environmentally hazardous material, heavy equipment) This position often requires the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Essential Physical Activities:
- Acceptable eyesight (with or without correction.)
- Acceptable hearing (with or without correction.)
- Heavy (45 lbs. and over) lifting and carrying.
- Reaching, pulling, and pushing.
- Climbing, walking, standing crawling, kneeling, bending, balancing and stooping.
- Distinguish colors.
- Equipment Operation.
To apply visit: https://newberry.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2zhml9x8ubx