Apprentice Lineman II – City of Green Cove Springs
This is semi-skilled to skilled work in maintaining and repairing the City’s Electric Utility distribution system. This position is designated as a safety sensitive position.
Reports to: Lineman, Line Crew Leader, Electric Superintendent
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS
- Assists in erecting power distribution lines, including poles, cable, wire and auxiliary equipment.
- Operates line truck and related equipment in setting and removing poles, moving and loading materials and in stringing wires.
- Services line truck, keeps supply of tools and materials.
- Attaches guy wires to poles.
- Ability to operate all line, digger and bucket trucks. Ability to attach cross arms to pole. Nails, screws and bolts insulators, lightening arrestors, transformers, street lights and other auxiliary equipment to pole structure of the building as directed.
- Works on live wire secondary voltage under direct supervision of Lineman, or Line Crew Leader or Superintendent.
- Reads electric meters.
- Trims trees.
- Responds to service calls during off-duty hours.
- Ability to perform all duties and functions of “Apprentice Lineman I”.
- These essential job functions are not to be considered as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job-related duties as necessary and consistent with the position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of tools, equipment and parts used in expanding, repairing and maintaining an electrical distribution system.
- Knowledge of electrical system repair and replacement procedures and safe working methods.
- Knowledge of light construction and maintenance equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical labor, sometimes under adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees, officials and the general public.
- Ability to be on-call to ensure continuity of operations after hours or during emergencies, including nights, weekends and holidays. This INCLUDES serving in standby rotation upon achieving sufficient experience and ability to serve in this capacity.
- Ability to respond to Electric Department base from time of contact within time limits specified in the Personnel Policies & Procedures Manual residency requirement for standby personnel. Current contact information must be provided at all times, including cell phone and home phone numbers, so that Police Dispatch or other Line Department personnel may make contact as necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from high school or equivalent supplemented by technical training in electrical systems repairs and maintenance and experience in electrical systems repairs and maintenance activities. Any equivalent combination of training, education and experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered for the minimum qualifications.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, OR REGISTRATIONS
Possession of a valid Florida Class “B” Commercial Drivers License (CDL) with air brake endorsement is required to operate the vehicle fleet, and maintain compliance with Vehicle Use Policy requirements, Section 8.15 (c) in the City’s Personnel Manual.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS
- Ability to perform strenuous manual work under varying weather conditions.
- Heavy carrying and lifting (over 45 pounds )
- Equipment operation
- Works outside in varying weather conditions, with heights.
- Works close to high voltage electric lines.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.