Municipal Electric Utility Members
We are Florida Public Power
There are 33 municipal electric (public power) utilities in the state, serving 1.5 million customers (more than three million Floridians) ,or 14 percent of the state’s population. In the United States, there are more than 2,000 municipal utilities, in 49 states and 5 U.S. territories, serving 10 percent of the nation’s electrical needs, or one in seven persons.
In Florida, there 54 electric utilities that provide electricity to customers in the state. There are five investor-owned utilities – Duke Energy Florida, Florida Power & Light, Florida Public Utilities Company, Gulf Power, and Tampa Electric Company (TECO). Together, these five investor-owned utilities serve approximately 75 percent of the state’s population. The remaining 25 percent is provided by the 33 municipal electric utilities and 16 rural electric cooperatives.
Public power utilities are locally owned and operated by the communities they serve. They are not-for-profit and are governed by an elected city commission, or an appointed or elected utility board. Public power utilities have a strong customer-focus; their customers are more than just their customers – they are their families, friends, neighbors and local businesses – providing top-notch customer service to the communities where they live and work.
In the United States, there are more than 2,000 municipal utilities, serving 10 percent of the nation’s electrical needs, or one in seven persons. Learn more about public power and what makes us unique.